Peter Lundahl Rasmussen
Head of Maritime Information
- (+45) 4436 6873
The liquid cargo data set containing information on some 260 individual cargoes. Guidance has been updated and more cargo entries added.
The information in the BIMCO liquid cargo database aims to provide an easy-to-use guidance and reference tool, primarily for shore-side staff and for newcomers on board tankers. The database supplements the relevant conventions, codes and supplementary guidance published by the International Maritime Organization (IMO) and is intended for use solely as a reference tool providing general information relating to the most commonly transported liquid cargoes.
The database has some 260 entries, ranking from 1,2-Dichloropropane to Zinc alkaryl dithiophosphate, and also includes commonly carried oil cargoes such as gasoil, gasoline, jet fuel and naptha.
Each entry contains the following basic information, where applicable:
• Trade name/synonym name
• Main properties/hazards
• Main chemical and physical properties
• IBC carriage requirements
• MARPOL Requirements
• Special information to be added to Shipping Document
• US Coast Guard group
• Segregation from other USCG cargo groups
• Cargo tank material
• Carriage requirements
• Prewash required
• Tank cleaning
• Accepted as “previous cargo”? FOSFA, EU, NIOP
• Emergency Response
• Hazards (Occupational safety etc)
See an example from the BIMCO Liquid Cargo Database entry for polyethylene glycol
The General Liquid Cargo Information covers the following related topics:
• The liquid cargo regulations
• Carriage of energy-rich fuels and their blends
• BIMCO Liquid Cargo Database: How to use - step by step
• How to use the Construction and Equipment of Ships Carrying Dangerous Chemicals in Bulk(IBC) Code
• MARPOL Annex II - Overview of Noxious Liquid Substances, categorisations, and disposal requirements.
• Acronyms relevant for oil- and chemical tankers
• Marine Diesel Oil (MDO), Intermediate Fuel Oil (IFO) and heavy Fuel Oil (HFO)
Go to the BIMCO Liquid Cargo Database (members only)