The BIMCO towage & salvage contracts consist of a range of popular standard forms that serve a global and diversified industry. The course looks at these contacts, which are often heavily amended to suit a project.
Contracts and commercial aspects
Overview of the most commonly used contracts in the offshore sector
- SUPPLYTIME 89/2005
- HEAVYCON 2007/HEAVYLIFTVOY
- TOWCON 2008/TOWHIRE 2008
- BARGEHIRE 2008
Even though the use of any of these contracts varies considerably, some of them also have a range of common features. What are the strength and weaknesses of these contracts and how are they used in the industry?
Principles of contract law and their relevance to the contracts
- legal systems governing the contract
- how can national law interfere with international law?
- applicable international conventions
- liabilities and Indemnities
- some general comments on adding, deleting and managing clauses in C/P’s.
Knock-for-knock and general issues of insurance
- understanding the knock-for-knock principle and mutual hold harmless agreement (MHHA)
Tug and tow
- overview of the contracts TOWCON 2008/TOWHIRE 2008 and BARECON
- negotiating and amending standard contracts
- common rider clauses used.
The introduction will be followed by a case study featuring TOWCON and towage related issues.