The BIMCO Maritime Information department informs members on a weekly basis, updates about the COVID-19 in relation to implementation measures imposed by governments for sea transport including for crew change as well as from the United Nation bodies like the International Maritime Organization (IMO), World Health Organization (WHO) and International Labour Organization (ILO).
BIMCO provides the following update for this week ending Friday, 27 November 2020
3. Government States
The government of Philippines advised the IMO (via IMO Circular letter No.4237/Add.16 on 18 November 2020) that 3 Marina Advisories had been issued in relation to crew changes and extension of certificates:
1) Marina Advisory No. 2020-08 on Guidance concerning Filipino seafarers onboard vessels affected by restrictions in connection with COVID-19
2) Marina Advisory No. 2020-52 on Guiding principles (step-based approach) developed by IACS regarding surveys and renewal of Cert during COVID-9 pandemic
3) Marina Advisory No. 2020-62 on Joint circular No. 01 – Guidelines for the establishment of the Philippines Green Lane to facilitate the speedy and safe travels of seafarers including their safe and swift disembarkation, and crew change during COVID-9 pandemic
The government of Myanmar advised the IMO (via IMO circular letter no. 4246/Add.6 issued on 12 November 2020) that 3 Marine Guidances have been issued as follows:
1) Marine Guidance (8/2020)- Extending the validity of the certificates of Myanmar registered vessels trading in international voyage due to the outbreak of 2019 Novel Coronavirus
2) Marine Guidance (9/2020)- Guiding principles for the further extension of the validity of certificate beyond its statutory maximum during the COVID-I9 Pandemic
3) Marine Instruction (5/2020)- Extending the validity of the certificates of Myanmar registered vessels trading in international voyages during the COVID-l9 Pandemic.
The government of Sri Lanka advised the IMO (via IMO circular letter no. 4237/Add.15 issued on 16 November 2020) that Merchant Shipping Notice (MSN) 07/2020 pertaining to certification of seafarers has been revised with effect from 16 November 2020 whereby extension has been granted.
BIMCO is continuously monitoring COVID-19 restrictions and its impact on the shipping industry in particular on crew changes. Below are some of the type of information currently being provided by BIMCO :
You can also view all information on our COVID-19 landing page.
Access BIMCO's COVID-19 related articles and advice.
Veritas Petroleum Services (VPS) publish regular Bunker Alerts based entirely on fuel samples and have kindly permitted BIMCO’s Members to access this information.
The Bunker Alerts are not intended to be an evaluation of overall bunker quality in the port or area concerned, but usually highlight a specific parameter within the fuel which has raised a quality issue.
For general guidance and information on cargo-related queries.
Want to buy or download a BIMCO publication? Use the link to get access to the ballast water management guide, the ship master’s security manual and many other publications.